- Shelter cleaning
- Dog Walking and animal socialization
- Picking up recyclables from our “cage” and delivering to Hebert’s Bottle Exchange
- Minor maintenance, lawn mowing, snow clearing.
- Assisting at our fundraisers, such as Dog Jog, liquor store collections. Distributing posters around the city.
- Emptying donations cans and depositing monies.
- Organizing fundraisers on our behalf.
- We would like to have a school education program, but shelter staff are too busy with the animals to do this on a regular basis.
- Maintaining our website.
- Participate as a Board member in administrative and financial decisions. (our AGM is generally in October).
- Attending monthly meetings, held generally on the second Monday of each month at the Lakeview Inn at 7 :00 p.m.
Contact: Jennifer Arsenault, Shelter Manager
Address: 128 Dan Cripps St.,(Chatham Industrial Park), Miramichi NB
(PO Box 177, Miramichi, NB E1V 3M3)
About the Organization: The Miramichi SPCA is an animal shelter for homeless, and abandoned dogs and cats. We are a NO KILL shelter and rely on adoptions of animals in order to house more. We are unfunded except by donations from the public and must raise annually over $100,000.
Time Commitment: As much or as little as the volunteer would want to commit to.
Qualifications: A range of skills, depending on what the volunteer would want to do. Above all a commitment to the animals is needed. If working with the animals, we do recommend a tetanus vaccination.
Screening: A Criminal Records Check is required, given that the work often involves children, or working with money. This is free of charge via the Miramichi City Police. And forms are available at the shelter.
How should volunteers apply: It is best to apply directly at the shelter, as this provides an opportunity to visit the shelter and meet with staff.
Additional Comments: We are open to the public from Tuesday to Friday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. and on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.